Great things are happening around Austin Pets Alive! Working with the city shelter, Austin Pets Alive! is pulling dogs that have little to no manners. Luckily, we have a program for that! Austin Pets Alive Canine Good Citizen Program (https://www.facebook.com/
There are currently 14 dogs working hard to become the best dogs they can be
- The basics-sit, down, stay and walking on leash
- Dog-dog handshakes-2 dogs, each dog sitting calmly next to the handler. The handlers reach out for a handshake and the dog stays in his sit and then calmly walks past.
- Friendly stranger-meets a brand new person and doesn’t jump up or give inappropriate kisses
- Paw handling and grooming-pup doesn’t mind having his/her paws picked up or being brushed.
- Reaction to another dog-pup can calmly walk in moderately busy locations without barking or pulling toward other dogs
- Reaction to distraction-pup isn’t phased by loud noises or startled by surprise noises
CGC certification is the first step in getting your dog certified as a therapy dog, and the pup comes this well trained BEFORE an adopter even gets involved! Learn more about how this program gets dogs adopted quicker here.